Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Twinkle2 Quilt Along: Fabric Requirements and Selection

Welcome to my first ever quilt along.  I hope you enjoy making this quilt as much as I did...today we will start with the fabric requirements and I'll offer some suggestions on selecting fabric.

First, let's start with the parts of the block....


You will notice that the two sashing pieces are considered part of the block.  I love making quilts with the sashing included in the block because I hate finishing all my blocks (yeah) and then still having to sash them all and then sew the rows together.  This way, it will all just come together...

For the star tips and four patch units you will need one jelly roll strip (2.5" x WOF), OR one layer cake square (10" x 10"), OR two strips cut from a fat quarter, OR a bunch of scraps.  This is the perfect time to dig around for pre-cut leftovers!!  During the cutting post I will show how to cut your pieces from each of these different types of scraps...

Here are the fabric requirements for several different sizes of quilts...


**Note:  I was trying to be conservative with the yardage requirements...so if you are a pre-washer (like me), you might want to buy and extra 1/8 yard to allow for shrinkage and distortion during the washing and drying process.  Or if you are a fabric hoarder, buy extra...why not??

My first time around, I made a baby quilt using aqua, red and pink fabrics...


I used light colors for the four patch background and the star tips background so the stars would "pop".  In addition, I selected a light gray floral for the sashing and border--using the same print for both makes the stars appear to "float" on the quilt.  The cornerstones were a light blue....

For the next run at this quilt, I selected bold, bright, rainbow prints....



The background of the four-patch units was a medium gray and the sashings/borders were a dark grey text print.  I did still make the background of the star tips a light color (Kona Snow) so that they would pop...I'll post finished pics of this quilt as soon as I have it quilted and bound....

For the QAL, I'm going with a green/blue/beige combo...Here are the star tips/four patch fabrics--some much coveted Denyse Schmidt fabric mixed with a little Bonnie and Camille navy...


For the background fabrics I'm using an off-white text print, Kona Snow, and a light gray floral for the sashings and borders.


Anyhow, start gathering your scraps and using up your stash...or make a trip to the local quilt shop and buy some fabric!! Yeah....

We will cut the pieces for the block on August 1st!  Be sure to check back then for an update...I had better get sewing myself since I'm quilting-along right with you!!

Happy Quilting!

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is cute, mind if I share your quilt along on my blog? Of course I'd need to steal a picture or two for the link back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as if I have not got enough to do and now I have been given a link to this from podunk pretties and have to sign up for this too!!

    ReplyDelete

It is great to hear from you... I had to eliminate anonymous comments due to spamming....sorry!