Monday, August 17, 2015

Twinkle2 QAL: Attaching the Borders

It looks like we are to the final instructions in this QAL--attaching the borders!  In order to make the stars appear to "float" on the background, your sashing pieces and borders should be done in the same fabric.  We will be adding 2" (finished) borders to each side of the quilt body.

When looking at your quilt top so far, let's assume the shorter sides are the top and bottom, and the longer sides are the left and right sides.  We will attach the side borders first...


Sew the 2.5" x WOF strips together end to end.  We will cut our border strips from this super long strip.  To determine the length your need for the sides, first measure YOUR quilt sides.  If your blocks turned out 11" (finished) and you add the 1/2" for the seam allowance your sides should measure the following length (depending on how many blocks you have)...

3 side blocks:  33.5"
4 side blocks:  44.5"
5 side blocks:  55.5"
6 side blocks:  66.5"
7 side blocks:  77.5"
etc...

But if your sides aren't quite exact, cut the borders to match YOUR quilt!!  Pin the borders to the sides of your quilt and sew...pressing the seams outward toward the border.




Next, we will attach the top and bottom borders.  Once again, measure YOUR quilt top to get the length, but if the blocks turned out 11" (finished), and you added 2" for each side border, and the 1/2" for the seam allowance, your top and bottom should measure the following length...

3 top/bottom blocks:  37.5"
4 top/bottom blocks:  48.5"
5 top/bottom blocks:  59.5"
6 top/bottom blocks:  70.5"
etc...

But if your top and bottom aren't quite exact, cut the borders to match YOUR quilt!!  Pin the borders to the top and bottom of your quilt and sew...pressing the seams outward toward the border.


Woohooo!  You have another quilt top to quilt!!  Some of you might quilt your own on DSM, or send out to a longarmer, or tie off, or hand quilt--whatever works for you!!  I'd love for you to send me pics of your finished tops so that I can post them on my blog.  I'll get this one quilted and post up a pretty pic in the next week or so...hopefully!

I really hope you enjoyed the QAL (which ended up being more of a tutorial due to the warp speed).  I think I need to do more of these in the future, but at a slower pace...LOL.

Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

  1. I am just about to that step. I have been working on this quilt all afternoon. I just have to sew the columns together. Then I can add the borders!! Yippee!! I will be adding one more border just to make it a little bit bigger. I will diffidently send you pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you once again for this quilt tutorial,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nearly there. Just doing the sashing now. Hope to get the borders on before bedtime and if the Gods are shining on me, I will quilt tomorrow. The pattern is going together like a dream. I need to be finished and cleaned by the week-end to help a Granddaughter with making a new dress.

    ReplyDelete

It is great to hear from you... I had to eliminate anonymous comments due to spamming....sorry!