I ripped off about 50" of freezer paper and began breaking it up into smaller chucks by marking wonky lines on the paper side (using pencil and a 24" acrylic ruler). It looked sort of like a big puzzle when I was done...After breaking it into several small chunks, I further broke the chunks down into little pieces.
I cut the chunks apart and made little notes/numberings on each piece so I could re-assemble this mess. I even wrote down what fabric I wanted on each piece....
Then I cut the pieces out and pressed the waxy side to the right side of my fabric (taking care not to waste any fabric).... I cut the pieces 1/4" away from the freezer paper.
I'll try the improv method this week at the MQG meeting...I think if I use actual scraps it might make the random cutting less painful :-D Happy Quilting!!