Monday, July 29, 2013

Joyce's Stonehenge Quilt...

I got this quilt from Joyce last week.  It is made up of the Stonehenge fabric line.  She wanted an allover in the center and then something in the borders....I ended up using a panto in the center (more on that later in the post) and doing wishbones in the lighter inner border and a flowing ribbon in the outer border (since it was so dark I didn't think it would be very visible).  Check it out...



The panto in the center is called Just Leaves...


Up close of the borders...they were small...maybe 3" and 4" each??


So I thought I'd show you how I did a panto in the center.  It involved drawing my own parts of the panto.  Here is how the left side of the panto looked...It was great...it would naturally trail off after the last pair of leaves.  I could just stop at the inside border of the quilt...


This is the right side...what a mess.  See how there are cut off  leaves and junk...not pretty.


So I put down a piece of paper and re-drew the right side so it naturally trailed into the center and then never again hit the side.  ;-)  The red board is foam core and it represent the area I DON'T want to quilt (the borders)


 So I used that to panto the center and then I got to the end of the inside.  I only had about 5" left and it was a 10" panto so I had to redraw my own ending to the panto.  Basically, draw the panto 5" x 50"...this was a challenge as I'm not a good drawer....But once I panto'd that area, I had the whole inside done and it looked flawless.  Awesome!


So, for all you quilters who have some nice pantos and want to use them for light custom jobs, just do it!  It might take a bit more work and creativity, but if I can do it, so can you!!

Happy Quilting...


1 comment:

  1. I am so loving this post and your encouragement. Nice Work. Love your blog all of it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

It is great to hear from you... I had to eliminate anonymous comments due to spamming....sorry!