Sunday, December 9, 2012

Denise's Quilt...

How adorable is this quilt??  I quilted it for my friend Denise...it is a belated anniversary/early Christmas gift for her parents...I think it might have been a layer cake-friendly pattern.  Anyhow, here it is...I measured about 50" x 60".


Some big hook swirls in the center...freehanded!  Love the Bliss rails...


A fat feather border around the edge and some ribbon candy quilting in the inner border.  No kidding, I got dizzy doing the ribbons... ;-)  More practice needed on those...


In addition to the quilting, we also put up the Christmas lights on the house.  This is quite a feat because we have a 2 story house now and a really tall 10' ladder was needed for the low peaks.  Forget about the higher ones...I am very afraid of heights but I put on my big girl panties and went up the ladder anyhow.  But I didn't look down once, just straight ahead!  Not bad for two chicks putting up the lights, huh?  We are trying to "Keep Up With The Patais"....our friends and neighbors who had their lights up the day after Thanksgiving...


This is the first year for lights at this house so we had to screw in all the little metal hooks to hang the lights.  I used to go sort of crazy with the staple gun but Denise suggested a few years ago that the hooks were easier and so we hooked up the last house.  Maybe our renters will use those hooks and hang some lights of their own this year!  Anyhow, the hard part is done so future lighting should go faster...These are lights on our front palm tree....This must seem funny to people who have snow...



We would have done them sooner except Rebecca's Mom passed away last week.  She was in NY for most of the week for the wake and funeral.  Linda battled cancer for the last 7 years or so...The weather was decent and the service was very nice.  I think that is about as much as you can hope for a winter funeral in upstate NY....

Two more weeks until Winter Break!!  Yeah....

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the loss of Rebecca's mom. That is always hard, particularly at the holidays.

    I love the candy ribbons! Mine always start leaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you found the ribbons challenging. I think I flunked the ribbon border class. Beautiful quilting on the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your freehand quilting. Quilting ribbons would make me crazy. You do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am extremely jealous of your quilting, it looks absolutely gorgeous! And hats off to you climbing up that ladder! I also don't like heights, I only climb up if I could hold on to something... your lights look fab. And I like the lights on palm trees, when we go to FL in the winter it's so pretty to see the trunks wrapped in white lights, so it does not look weird at all! (I'm in NY) Have a Wonderful Christmas Girls!

    ReplyDelete

It is great to hear from you... I had to eliminate anonymous comments due to spamming....sorry!